Thursday, August 18, 2016

Ser Digno

Hey Everyone!!

IT'S MY LAST WEEK HERE! I can't wait to get out of here. I love the people here and I love my district... but it is straight up Infierno aqui. I GOT MY FLIGHT PLANS YESTERDAY!! I leave on Monday from the Mexico City Airport straight to Lima, Peru on a 6 hour flight at 4 p.m. I will probs get to the Mission Home around Midnight... so it will be a while till I email you guys again :'( I'M SO EXCITED THOUGH!!! I just can't wait to go to Peru and actually be a Missionary. I don't care if I don't know the Language... I only want to go and help those in need. If I can just serve everyone I meet and bring at least one soul unto Christ... Yo tenia el exito.

Mis Camisas

Just wanted to quickly start off this email with one thing that I think my good friend, Jaime, will enjoy. Since I have been here at the MTC, I have tried to keep the Shirts that Jaime gave me in as best condition as possible. I only wear them for Sundays... but today I decided that I wanted to look extra good ;) Let's just say that I have never gotten so many compliments on a shirt in my life. But not just that, after someone tells me that my shirt is awesome, I ask them if they would like to hear where I got them from. I don't really give them a choice... because before they can answer me, I'm halfway into a story talking about my best friend who is Colombian and got these shirts from me from Colombia. Almost always, the person just looks at me and says "Uhh... cool bro, have fun with your shirts." I don't even care though, I got these bad boys dry-cleaned last week and let's just say stuntin has become a real habit lol.

Elder Morris... Otra vez

So you know how P-Day is supposed to be the most magical day of the week and everyone is just smiling and happy... this P-Day has taken a different turn. I'm not saying it has been awful.. because, honestly I can't stop smiling while I'm writing all of you guys! But this morning was rough. One of my best buds in the MTC, Elder Morris is not doing well. We were all taking pictures as a District, and then all of the sudden... I heard somebody throwing up behind us. Of course, this happened to be Elder Morris. He was moaning and throwing up everywhere; I thought he was gonna be okay and just had an upset stomach or something... but when we took him to the Clinic, he could barely move. He was in pure agony and just holding his stomach. He was trying as hard as he could not to throw up, but he couldn't hold himself. When we got him to the Clinic, we were able to lay him down, and I've never seen someone go from super healthy and lively to how sickly and ill he had become. The Elders and I in the District offered him a blessing. He refused. We offered it again. He refused again. A third time... nope. Elder Styler and I sat there looking at each other for a sec... and then Elder Styler just said "Elder, Do you not have faith to be healed... don't you know that me, you, and all of us hold the Holy Priesthood of God?" I've never felt so much power come from someone like that... and there was no way Elder Morris could refuse us for the fourth time. Elder Weeks, his companion, offered the blessing. They then rushed Elder Morris and Elder Weeks to the hospital and President Harston told us he might have Appendicitis. I'm praying hard for him to be able to come onto the plane with us on Monday.

Subject Line

I have been reading a lot in Jesus the Christ (Oh, and by the way Uncle John and Aunt Jessica: Everybody is wayyyy jealous of the awesome JTC you guys gave me:) ), and in The New Testament. Reading the Scriptures has "become delicious" to me while I have been here at the MTC. I believe that there is something about the Spirit being with you most of time that makes you want to read and learn more about Christ. Anyways, I was reading in Luke, and in Ch. 5 in verse 8, Peter marvels at the Lord and says to him "Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord." 

I have felt like that a lot in my life. I feel like I am not worthy to be a Representative of the Lord. On my mission, I have asked myself, more than once, how Christ could see me... someone who is so imperfect, bring those who are Lost unto him. 

I have had this answered through an experience I had yesterday. Every Wednesday, we have this thing we do called TRC. It's where Members or Less Actives come and volunteer to be taught by the Missionaries at the MTC for more practice in helping them. I haven't seen it as a huge deal, because I have only been teaching members. It's nice to just talk about how great the gospel is and how it's helped their lives... but nothing too big. Yesterday, we had the opportunity to teach a man named Elliott. He is a really cool guy and super nice. Our message was how church attendance can be important in his life. We asked him if he had been going to Church, and of course he said yes. He had a calling and was very active. I thought "Great.. let's just finish and get out of here." ... however, God knew, and the Spirit knew that Elliott was holding something back. The Spirit was so strong in the room and I heard, with clarity and such strength that I don't think I've had in many years. The Spirit spoke through me. He told him that when and if he had opportunities to serve, that God would consecrate him in his afflictions. He also told him that he was a worthy priesthood holder and that Christ knows exactly who he is. The room was filled with love. Elliott began to cry and shared with me, and I understood every word he was saying in Spanish, how he has been going through a very rough time in his life and hasn't felt the Spirit in a long time. I testified to him that what I said was not me, but that God spoke through me exactly what I need to say. We hugged it out and we left. 

In verse 10 of the same Chapter, it says: "Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men." I now know being worthy does not mean being perfect. It means putting His will before yours and being willing to do whatever He asks of you. Peru, here I come. 

I love all of you so much,

Elder Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment